Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
This hearty soup makes for an easy main course meal.
- 14 oz reduced fat Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4" pieces
- pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 8 cups (1/2 batch) kale, stems removed and leaves shredded
- salt to taste
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- Dutch oven
- wooden spoon
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, cook sausage over medium-low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot, let cool and cut into thin slices.
- Add oil to pot; add onions and carrots; cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add broth, water and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes.
- Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered unitl the potatoes and kale are cooked, about 5–6 minutes. Adjust salt if needed.