Izzy's Apple Turnovers
We love apple turnovers and have worked a bit on this recipe to make it something that the two of us can make together.
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped – We like Spartans for this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- cutting board and knife
- apple peeler
- measuring cups and spoons
- pastry brush
- rolling pin
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, heat apples, butter, brown sugar, and cornstarch to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened and apples are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour. Roll out thawed puff pastry into 15-inch square. Cut into 4 smaller squares (or 9 even smaller squares)
- Brush each square with egg wash; spoon apple mixture onto center of each. Fold each in half diagonally to form a triangle and press edges together to seal. Using a spatula, move each turnover to cookie sheet; brush outside with egg wash, sprinkle with some white sugar if you want. Use sharp knife to cut a few vents into each turnover.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and enjoy!
We like them even more when they are cold than when they are hot!