Hearty Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
This hearty and moist muffin goes from mixing bowl to table in just 40 minutes!
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 2/3 cup water
- 1.5 cups flour (we like spelt)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup kefir or milk (if using milk, add 1 extra tsp of baking powder)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup oil plus extra for greasing muffin tins
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Wooden spoon
- Muffin tin
- Bring water and lentils to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes, until soft.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt).
- Allow lentils to cool slightly.
- Grease muffin tin.
- When lentils are lukewarm, whisk in egg, oil and kefir/milk until smooth.
- Add the lentil mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until just mixed, but not smooth.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake for ~ 18 minutes in preheated oven (until they are pale golden and springy to the touch).
- Let cool and enjoy!
Mix it up by adding any favourite fresh or frozen fruit in place of the blueberries.